History 2017-06-16T08:34:02+00:00

History 1878-1953

The St. St. Cyril and Methodius National Library is the National Library of Republic of Bulgaria. It is the biggest greatest library in the country and the oldest cultural institute after the Liberation of Bulgaria.


04. 04. 1878 – The Sofia schoolteacher and first secretary of the City Council Mihail Bobotinov made a proposal for establishing a „public library, necessary for the cultural and educational development of Sofia”.

28. 11. 1878 – A Provisional Library Commission was chosen to arrange the organization and opening of the library “in accordance with its existing Regulation”. This date (new style 10 December 1878) is accepted as the date of foundation of the National Library.

05. 06. 1879  – The Sofia Public Library was transformed in a state institution, called Bulgarian National Library, according to the proposal of Marin Drinov, chairman of the Library Commission and head of the Education Department.

22. 02. 1897 – The Law of deposit of printed documents in the national libraries, proposed by Konstantin Velichkov, was officially adopted.

1900 – The National Library of Bulgaria received its first own building, the former Citizen’s Club on 131, G.S. Rakovski Str.

1924 – The National Library opened an Archive Department to store the Bulgarian National Revival Archive, founded in 1904.

1939 – The construction of a new library building started at the place of the former royal manege.

1944 – The air raids over Sofia during the World War II destroyed both the old and new building.

26. 04. 1946  – The Law of contract of a loan for finishing the building of the National Library in Sofia was published on the 26 April in Darjaven Vestnik.

16. 12. 1953  – The new building of the National Library was officially opened. This building was designed by the prominent Bulgarian architects Ivan Vasilyov and Dimitar Tsolov. The National Library was built in neoclassical style and the monument of the holy brothers St. St. Cyril and Methodius is an inseparable part of it.

History after 1954

After 1954

1963 – The National Library officially changed its name from “Vasil Kolarov” to “St. St. Cyril and Methodius”.

1970 – An Instruction of the functions and structure of the National Library was adopted.

1974 – A Regulation of the organization of the research work in the National Library was adopted.

1991 – The reconstruction of the affiliate structure of the National Library in the quarter Izgrev officially started. 

11. 08. 1994 – The National Library was declared culture institution with national importance.

1999 – The Law of cultural protection was officially adopted. According to this Law the National Library is a culture institution with national importance.

2009 – The new Law of legal deposit of printed and other type publications was officially adopted.


Този сайт използва бисквитки, за да направят употребата му по-удобна, по-приятна и по-сигурна. Чрез посещението си, вие се съгласявате с използването на бисквитки.